Suzuki ATV Forum

Suzuki ATV Forum (https://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Maintenance (https://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/repair-maintenance/)
-   -   King Quad 300 Electrical issue? (https://www.suzukiatvforums.com/forums/repair-maintenance/36573-king-quad-300-electrical-issue.html)

Yoilon 04-09-2019 06:14 PM

King Quad 300 Electrical issue?

Just got a mates old 2010 king quad 300, from what I've been told, he took it into the shop and they said the ECU is rooted, and it's not worth the time in labour to repair it. Apparently they said you can't just throw a new battery in it as it will ruin the battery. I've thrown one in it, runs fine, starts up every time without issue. So what's the go, the shop just trying to get him to buy a new quad, or is somethin actually bad in it?

TCIII 04-09-2019 06:45 PM

KQ 300s don't have an ECU

Unless the new ones from other countries are fuel injected....which I doubt.....are you sure it's a 2010.
Where are you from?

440Tim 04-09-2019 07:32 PM

I believe they can still get new king quad 300's in Australia.

Yoilon 04-09-2019 07:33 PM

Just had a chat with him, does a CDI sound more plausible, he was interchanging the two

ajl719 04-09-2019 07:40 PM

Yes, a CDI is absolutely plausible. And correct. And the last model King Quads (300) were discontinued in the U.S and Canada after 2004. Though as mentioned, they are still manufactured in Australia. Not sure if they are any longer. Post up the 17 digit Vin# and one of us should be able to tell you the what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoilon 04-09-2019 08:23 PM

I'll have a look at that vin # this arvo when I get home. Surely if it was a CDI it wouldn't run correctly? But maybe it is and all its doing is just screwing over the battery

440Tim 04-09-2019 08:29 PM

Just looked it up 2010 king quad 300 has a mikuni bsr 29mm carburetor. No fuel injection.

Is it overcharging or undercharging?

If it's overcharging and burning out batteries it's probably the regulator/rectifier. It could have gone bad or be poorly grounded.

Undercharging could also be regulator/rectifier.
Bad generator.
Loose wire connections.
Shorted out wires.
To much draw on the battery from running to many accessories.

Yoilon 04-09-2019 08:33 PM

Yeah ok, my thinking was over the course of a few days, run it around a bit and monitor the voltage on the battery. Am I thinking along the right path or?

ajl719 04-09-2019 08:42 PM

Your rectifier might be causing the issue with your battery. The rectifier/regulator regulates your atvís electrical system. When it goes bad if can cause two sorts of issues. An undercharging scenario which will drain your battery repeatedly until it can no longer hold and charge. Or a overcharging scenario where to much voltage creates havoc with your atvís electrical system. Either one can cause issues with your battery, as well as performance issues as well. Checking to see if the rectifier/regulator is your problem is fairly easy. Using a volt meter or multimeter, start the bike and take a reading at the battery. At idle you should get a reading of about 13.0 - 13.3 volts. When revving the engine you get a reading of about 13.8 to 14.0 volts. If your readings are way lower or higher then the above mentioned then the issues lays with your rectifier/regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoilon 04-13-2019 01:09 AM

so, I've done the little test, getting 12.55v at idle, revving does nothing to it. and i'm guessing that since there is no trouble, starting the quad itself that it wont be the cdi issue. are there any tests that i can run on the rectifier to see if she's rooted or not? and is there anything else that i should be checking that i might not have thought of, other than like a short/ broken wire somewhere, alternator etc.