Battery/Electrical Suggestion - Suzuki ATV Forum
Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

3Likes
  • 1 Post By kenora
  • 2 Post By TheBearAK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Suzuki ATVer

Garage
Battery/Electrical Suggestion

Hey all! Its been YEARS since I've actually posted on a fourm, brings back memories haha.

Anyway, I just picked myself up a 2016 KingQuad 750 with a whole 100 miles on it!!

Here is my plan:

Add a plow and winch, as well as a small LED light Bar, and 2 LED flashers for the rear (for safety reasons)

Does anyone have a suggestion on a different battery to support the additional items being added, or a way to add a second battery without looking like crap?

Look forward to your input!
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Personally, my friend, . . . I would not sweat the battery.

You have opted for LED lights, . . . they use very little electricity compared to the old styles, . . . and I can attest that an '05 KQ700 battery will handle the winch for the plow with no problems, . . . at least mine did last winter.

I would run it as is, . . . and not think twice.

May God bless,
Dwight
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have an 05 KQ that I use for plowing..every winter, many many....many..times a winter, each time I plow I'm out for 3 hours or more... the winch lifts and lowers my Moose 60" County plow about a hundred times or more during that period...

Short answer was YES the OEM battery "could" do the job... however in 2009 or so when the original battery was getting weak...mostly noticed starting the quad at -40c or so...I spent LESS buying a series 26 car battery (mid size about 750CC) and removed the OEM battery and mounted the BIG battery in the Kolpin Seat truck which happened to have a ton of room.... it now starts enthusiastically at -40c and can run the factory lights, a 20" LED light bar and the winch for hours without strain.

So in reality... in a different climate (warmer) with a less demanding plowing load an OEM battery can work... however....in my case I needed another battery anyway and it was $140 for the OEM baby battery or $99 (Costco) for the BIGGER battery...... WIN Costco.
I left the battery box empty and fabricated small bus bars out of copper running welding cable (I think it 4 ga) to the battery box..
FWIW....Jut cause there was room in 2015 i added a second BIG battery in parallel.... I now use the KQ to jump start the neighbours cars/trucks when the NW Ontario weather gets cold for weeks (like this winter)
YMMV
Tim likes this.

2005 King Quad
2006 Vinson (2 of them)
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Suzuki ATV Master!

I put an easy to remove box with a quick disconnect connector for the battery. The box is on the rear rack, so yes, kind of ugly, but I only need it for plowing snow. With just the standard battery it would get drained enough to start stalling the motor. Power steering, lights, and injection draw more than the stator output.
Tim and kenora like this.

2013 Suzuki King Quad 500 AXi w/EPS
1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines
post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Tim
Suzuki ATV Master!

Lights are important. Snow season is dark season

Former: 09 LTA 450 AXI KQ, 93LT-F4WDX KQ, 93LT-F4WDX KQ, 94LT-F4WDX KQ, 95LT-F4WDX KQ, 87 LT230 QR, 89 LT80 QS
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Suzuki ATV Master!

I've been thinking about putting a light bar on a stick on mine. Why on a stick? Well, summers up here are daylight all the time, and I ride snowmachines in the winter. Only time I use the Quad in the winter is to plow the driveway.

If the lightbar was simply mounted on the front, I don't think I could see over the plow well enough and a bright light reflecting even off a black plow is pretty bright. Lift the light up about 3' in the air and it would do much better. I was thinking about one of those work-lights and just make a clamp or something to attach it to the rack. Could even have it's own battery so it would be multi-purpose as well.

1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Suzuki ATVer

Those of you doing light bar's how do you wire it up, to come on with the normal headlights, steering column light, or on their own switch all together?

2019 KQ 750 PS SE
2015 KQ 750 PS (RIP)
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Suzuki ATV Master!

If I do it, I'd probably just wire a switch right on the post. But my purpose is much different from most people. I just need it to see better when I plow.

1990 Suzuki LT-4WD 250
and lots of snowmachines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in