2005 z 250 idle

This is a discussion on 2005 z 250 idle within the Suzuki QuadSport forums, part of the Suzuki Model Specific Discussions category; I just purchased a used z250 as a Christmass present for my son and it seems that it has some carb problems. Any help to ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki Model Specific Discussions > Suzuki QuadSport

Suzuki QuadSport Discussions for the Quadsport 50,90,250,400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #3915
View archer292's Photo Gallery()
2005 z 250 idle

I just purchased a used z250 as a Christmass present for my son and it seems that it has some carb problems. Any help to get this figured out would be much appreciated. The vacum line was plugged and it would only run on prime when i got it. Seems the petcock needed to be replaced and this was the way to make it run without replacing it. This was done by a shop for the previous owner and I only learned of it after purchasing the quad and questioning the seller. A new petcock was installed and that's where I come in. The previous owner never had the job finished. So I pulled the carb cleaned everything, set the adjustment screw in the bowl to 3 turns out, reinstalled it and checked for vacum leaks. The bike will start right up and run pretty good but the problem is with the idle. When I use the idle adjustment screw to get the idle where it sounds good and then rev the bike up it hangs at a high idle before settling back down. The only way to get it to settle faster is to lower the idle adjust ment screw, but then the idle is too low. I have tried 3 turns out on the screw in the carb ( not the idle), 4 turns out, and now 5 turns out. At 5 turnsout and fiddling with the idle screw, I can get a decent idle and she will hang very slightly then come down. The hanging occurs when you rev it up and keep it up for a few seconds Not if you are snapping the throttle. Can someone help me out with this? Is the idle hanging normal? I have a 80 honda dirt bike for my son and ride a bike myself and this is not something I can say I have heard before. Thanks for any help in advance.

Anthony
archer292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3809
View Mudmaster's Photo Gallery()
try adjustig your throttle cable and maybe changing the spark plug, last time that happened to me i just replaced the plug and it was good then
Mudmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Suzuki ATVer

Member #3915
The bike is jetted for the slip on and a modified box from what I have gathered. 138 main compared to a 125 stock. I will not be running a modified air box just yet. This quad is for an 11 year old and it is the first full size he will be riding. I rebuilt the carb with stock jets but think it will run too lean with the slip on. Ordered a dyno jet kit to have some options on the main. I guess I will start one or two sizes bigger on the main to start.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Suzuki ATVer

Member #3915
A little help !!!! Keep experiencing a hanging idle. If I adjust the idle screw to where she is idleing good the hanging idle is there. If I back down the idle screw I can get the hanging to stop but then the idle is too low.

Search tags for this page

2005 suzuki quad sport z250 carburetor adjustment

2005 suzuki z250 quadsport repair forums

how to adjust a carb on a 2005 suzuki quadsport z250

idle adjust on suzuki 50 quad

pictures of a 2005 carburetor for quadsport z250

quadsport 250 won't idle

suzuki 250 quadsport carb specs
suzuki quadsport z250 carb bleeder screw size

suzuki quadsport z250 carburetor

suzuki quadsport z250 not idling

where is idle screw on quadsport

z250 forum idle stop screw adjustment

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.