05 LTZ 400 Quadsport no 1st gear or reverse

This is a discussion on 05 LTZ 400 Quadsport no 1st gear or reverse within the Suzuki QuadSport forums, part of the Suzuki Model Specific Discussions category; I have a 2005 ltz 400 which is pretty much stock and last time riding it threw the chain twicw on the trails and the ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki Model Specific Discussions > Suzuki QuadSport

Suzuki QuadSport Discussions for the Quadsport 50,90,250,400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
New around here!

Member #691
View DEREKD024's Photo Gallery()
05 LTZ 400 Quadsport no 1st gear or reverse

I have a 2005 ltz 400 which is pretty much stock and last time riding it threw the chain twicw on the trails and the last time in my driveway. The last time it jammed around the engine sproket. I was able to get the chain back on and fortunately it did not tear up the sproket but I have no 1st gear or reverse. I have 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th still and when taking off out of 2nd it runs and shifts fine. I noticed that while putting it in first or reverse it doesnt engage but when it goes in 2nd i can hear it engage and fell the bike lurch fwd so i know its engaging fine in 2nd thru 5th. I noticed the sheathing on the cable for the reverse switch that runs by the engine sproket was torn exposing the cable but when i turn the rev switch I can watch the cable pull the trans conection like it should. I got the reverse cable on order hoping that it will fix the problem but just wanted some insight to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or other suggestions. If the cable doesnt fix it i think it might be an electrical problem that isnt allowing 1st or reverse to engage. Any advice would be graetly appreciated thanks.
DEREKD024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
New around here!

Member #745
View mxrider's Photo Gallery()
RE) 05 LTZ 400 Quadsport no 1st gear or reverse

Hey buddy, not sure if you solved the problem yet or not but I had the same thing happen to me after jamming the chain in the front sprocket. 2nd gear and beyond would work except for 1st and reverse. Bro Im telling you it is a whole lot of work to fix this. Its the shift fork for you 1st and reverse. The fork is for both reverse and 1st which is why none will engage. Mine cracked in half and I had to take the motor out and crack the housing open to reach the gears. Not too bad if you have an extra hand to help and the service manual in case you get stuck. Took me about 3 days by myself.. Hope it helped
mxrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
2005 ltz 400 reverse

how much does it cost to fix shifting forks in a z400

how to fix shift problem on a suzuki ltz 400
kfx 400 reverse problem
ltz 400 shift first to reverse
ltz 400 stuck in gear
my ltz400 clicks in 2nd gear from chain binding on it, how to fix it
shift forks for a z 400

suzuki 400 ltz how to shift into reverse

suzuki ltz 400 how to shift into reverse

trouble shooting reverse on ltz 400

z400 no first gear

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.