Rear Brake Problem

This is a discussion on Rear Brake Problem within the Suzuki KingQuad forums, part of the Suzuki Model Specific Discussions category; I have 2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4 with a rear brake problem. Everytime i apply the rear brakes i get a loud squeaking/squealing noise. ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki Model Specific Discussions > Suzuki KingQuad

Suzuki KingQuad Discussions for the KingQuad 400,450,750,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Question Rear Brake Problem

I have 2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4 with a rear brake problem. Everytime i apply the rear brakes i get a loud squeaking/squealing noise. I've brought it twice to the dealership who both times inspected it and said it was fine. The brakes were cleaned both times and the bike seemed fine for a few days but the noise returned.

When i brought my bike in a third time for routine maintenance they noticed my rear brake seals were finished. So i got them changed but within a few days i was having the same problem again. I am at a loss of what to do. Anyone have any suggestions..?
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
New around here!

Member #443
View Cowpill's Photo Gallery()
ATV brakes take alot of abuse, I know mine make all kinds of racket. The most common problem is the brake lining and drum get heat glazed. Some times you can take the drum off and with some medium sandpaper and lightly sand the drum and shoes to try and scuff the glaze off, but, when you heat them up again it will eventually happen again. Another option is to get a set of quality racing pads and shoes which do not have the same intolerance for heat as factory linings do. Hope this helps.
Cowpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
New around here!

Member #652
View Bigg Bubba's Photo Gallery()
check your bearings..... they may be bad... you may not notice the
problem til you put some resistance on them.... lett us know
what you find out.
Winch by WARN
Member & Originator of TEAM BUBBA
Go Bubba Go!!! !
Bigg Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #514
If i thought squeaky rear brakes were annoying i could be further from the truth. Though now the squeaking has stoped i am always fighting with my rear brakes. I can never get them to work properly. Thing is they never absolutely lock the rear wheels or stop my quad quickly. Even when applying the rear brakes down a hill i can have the brake lever depressed all the way to the bar and it won't stop it.

I recently brought my quad to the dealership i bought it from for service. They told me my brake cable was stretched and that i'd have to change it for it to work properly again. So i said go ahead and change it. So they did and yesterday when i went for a ride and was going down a hill and depressed the rear hand brake, the same thing happened. Doesn't stop the quad at all. Though the garage keeps telling me the rear brake is a mechanical design and isn't a very good. Thing is though the brake pedal actually locks the rear wheels but the hand brake doesn't. Very weird. Was wondering if anybody else has had any similar problems with their rear brakes on their King Quad..? Mine is a 2000 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kenda Bear Claws
12,000 Km/s
Old 09-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #514
O.k Tim maybe this will be a little easier then talking through PM Messages, lol. Anyways, this was one of my first threads here on the forum so we'll just pick it up where we left off. Anyways, i looked at the service manual and read up on adjusting the brakes. We'll in simple terms i might need a little more help understanding here, unfortunately I've never really been any good at understanding instructions. So as per the manual states, do i need to remove the plastic fender cover or is it possible to work around it..? Second, the brake pedal works fine so do i need to adjust it anyhow or can i just leave it and go straight to the hand brake adjustment..? Third, manual states that i need to loosen the locknut (2), and screw the adjuster (3) all the way in. After that is says to adjust the play, am i adjusting the play with the adjuster screw (3) i just screwed all the way in then locking the locknut (2) afterwards..?
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Tim
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #4677
View Tim's Photo Gallery()
I can only speak to the previous generation of KQ from your 2000 but I think its the same. Except for the fenders and mud flaps. On mine I can push the mud flap back enough to get at the adjustments. Not sure about yours.

The hand brake cable simply pulls the foot pedal. So good news your pedal does the job and it means your rear brake system is in good order.

The hand cable connects to the back of the pedal by a yoke that is secured by a pin. The yoke is slotted so the pedal pin can slide up and down. You want to adjust the slack out of the yoke by screwing the cable up until it just touches the pin.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2201
View cdrm@x's Photo Gallery()
2000 kq

Hi, I have a 2000 and have the same issues with the rear brakes. I just attribute the issues to the fact that they are mechanical drum brakes. My hydraulic front brakes work perfect. I only use the rear for a parking brake. I downshift and use the front brakes and I can stop on a dime. I do have heavier tires than stock. That takes away braking power also.
cdrm@x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #514
Seems we have the same issue, my rear brakes don't work that well either but the front brakes work great, actually i can say even more then great. Anyhow, my rear brakes are pretty non existent now and even the parking brake doesn't work that well, i noticed the rear brake lever is pretty soft and can apply the handle fully to the bar. So it seems i may have to adjust the tension on the cable a bit. So yes, the mechanical design rear brakes are a real bust. As for my tires, i run the original Bear Claws on my 300, probably a little heavier then my stock ones but shouldn't affect my stopping performance all that much.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2201
View cdrm@x's Photo Gallery()
There is an adjustment on the brake lever. Just like on a bicycle. Loosen the jam nut, then screw out the adjuster to take up any slack in the cable. Then retighten the jam nut. Its under the rubber cover.
cdrm@x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5056
View hawaii50's Photo Gallery()
when i got mine this happened becuse a build up on the wall of the covering of dust i hosed it down and no noise for about 2 months!!!! have fun on the hunt

The more you sweat in training the less blood on the battle feild.

The only easy day was yesterday!!
hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
2000 king quad brakes

how to change rear brake pads on 1999 suzuki king quad

how to install rear brakes on a lt80

how to replace brake cable on a suzuku atv

king quad adjusting rear brakes

rear brake problems with 1998 suzuki king quad 300

replace rear brake cable on king quad 300

replace rear breaks on king quad

suzuki 300 quad bike brakes

suzuki atv rear brake problem

suzuki ozark rear brake problems

suzuki quad park brake

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.