tire and wheel sizes

This is a discussion on tire and wheel sizes within the Suzuki KingQuad forums, part of the Suzuki Model Specific Discussions category; Ok, so this is a totally newbie question.. to the point that I'm embarrassed to even ask. I have a 2006 King Quad. I ended ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki Model Specific Discussions > Suzuki KingQuad

Suzuki KingQuad Discussions for the KingQuad 400,450,750,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4688
View butterynipples's Photo Gallery()
tire and wheel sizes

Ok, so this is a totally newbie question.. to the point that I'm embarrassed to even ask.

I have a 2006 King Quad. I ended up seeing someone who had the same machine, and I liked his tires and wheels. I asked him what size they were, and he said 27x10 in the front - and 27x12 in the back.

Can someone explain to me in basic terms what tire and wheel size I need to order?

I know this sounds silly - but I figured I won't know unless I ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
When you buy your bike from the dealership they usually come with a stock size set of tires that are usually 25" tires. You can upgrade the wheels and the tires as you choose but you need to be concerned with rubbing issues etc, in this case most people get lift kits to avoid this. However if you stay within a 26" to a 27" tire you shouldn't have an issue. Here's a better understanding of what those numbers mean:

Example: 25x10-12

In the example above you'll note 3 sets of numbers, the first number is the height of the tire in inches (25"), the second set of numbers is the width of the tire in inches (10), and last is the size of the rim in inches (12"). You can upgrade both the wheels and the tires as you choose. Some even go to a bigger 14" rim instead of the stock 12" rim but you may note that some tire manufacturers only make their tires for a 12" rim which is the more common rim size and probably the one you should stick with, but it's up to you. Do note as stated above the bigger the tire you go with the more you need to consider a lift kit as you may encounter rubbing issues. Hope this answers your question.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Very well explained AJ. ButteryNipples(ROFLMAO, cool name) What kind of riding are you planning on doing (Mud, Trails, Rocks etc)? This will help us to recommend a good tire and rim combo for your quad, and is there a price range you want to stay in? For instance on mine I am running 28x10x12 on the front and 28x12x12 but I have a 2 inch lift and 2" inch wheel spacers and mine doesn't rub and the Silverback tires I have has 2 inch lugs on them which is the biggest you can get. But if you are wanting to run a less aggressive tire that are 27" tall you shouldn't have any problems. I will make a suggestion though, since yours is a 700 I would say instead of running 10's front and 12's rear, I would go with 10;s on front and back this will put less strain on the axles, engine and transmission which in turn will save you some money in the long run.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4688
Thank you both very much for the response.

A lift kit isn't totally out of the question. Where is a good website to check out options for 2" lift kits? (is it something the average Joe can do at home?) And if I was to get a lift kit - I'd definitely get wheel spacers - that way the machine isn't too top heavy. With that said, where is a good website to check out wheel spacers?

My riding basically consists of home snow plowing, and trails. The trails around my area have mud - but not too crazy, so I'd say very minimal mud. Our local trails basically consist of rocks, dirt, grass, very minimal mud.

So with all that said - if I was to get a lift kit and wheel spacers, what is the recommended tire and wheel size for that? (and any place better than others online to buy tires and wheels?)

Thank you again for your help on this. And sorry again for the basic newbie question.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4688
Would this lift kit work?

http://www.amazon.com/Lift-Kit-Suzuk...ift+kit+suzuki
Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #514
No need to apologize, a 2" lift would certainly be enough. The bigger the lift the more stress you put on the axles. And Thomas can probably help you out figuring a place to get a lift kit and spacers better then me.

As for tires, the Kenda Bear Claws and Bear Claw HTR's are pretty good tires. Also, the ITP mud lites and ITP mud lite XTR's are also a pretty popular tire. The Interco swamp lites are pretty goo as well. And if you want aggressive mud tires like Thomas the Gorilla Silverback tires or the Kenda executioners are also a pretty decent tire. However, since you are not riding much in serious mud one of the first three tires i recommend might be better suited for the type of riding you'll be doing. There are also a whole bunch of other types of tires out there, so if you find another you like but not sure how they are post it up here on the forum. I'm sure one of use can help you in determining whether they are a well suited tire for you and your type of riding.
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s

Last edited by ajl719; 07-15-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1049
That kit would work fine, Super ATV is the brand of one our sponsors. I like the ITP SS 212 wheels I have on my 2009, but wheels are better left for you to decide on because it's more of a personal choice.
As far as tires go another one of our sponsors offer this tire which looks very good for your needs:
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct
And here is the wheels they offer for your quad:
Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct
I especially like these wheels:
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

But that is my opinion on the wheels and tires the ultimate decision will be up to you, I hope this helped some.

THOMAS

As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB

Last edited by TUBBYTUBB; 07-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4667
View Kodiak's Photo Gallery()
I put a set of 27" Kenda HTR radials on my Yamaha Kodiak 400, and they KILLED the performance. So I pulled them back off after one ride. They are a very heavy 8 ply tire, and reduced my top speed by 10 mph, and rode RUFF!!! I plan on putting them on my Kingquad 700 and see how they do, just need to get the correct offset rear wheels.

The 700 has quite a bit more power and should pull them better. But these tires are extemely heavy. If I remember correctly they were nearly twice as heavy as the stockers at 42 lbs each in the rear and 38 lbs in the front with ITP steel wheels, which are actually lighter than their alloy rims. They rode so rough because of stiff sidewalls on my Kodiak, I really don't see them being much better on the Kingquad. Although to be fair the Yamaha has a solid axle compared to the Suzuki independent, but still I will most likely throw them on Craigslist and chalk them up to experience.

Last edited by Kodiak; 07-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1049
The 27x11x12 weigh 34.4 pounds.

THOMAS

Last edited by TUBBYTUBB; 07-15-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #514
Would get the new Kenda HTR's for my 300 KQ if they made them for an 11" rim. Love the look of them and love the Bear Claws in general. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my stupid 11" front rims. Oh well, may try these bad boys whenever i get a new Suzuki that's all. Though with the durability of my 300 KQ so far that may still be a ways away.
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s

Search tags for this page
2011 suzuki kingquad 750axi tire size upgrade
2011 suzuki kingquad 750axi wheel width

King quad tire size

best wheel size for king quad 700
biggest tire i can put under a stock suzuki 700 atv

correct front and rear wheel offset for suzuki king quad 750

correct rear wheel offset on king quad 700
king quad 700 27 tires

suzuki atv 700 wheel size

suzuki king quad 700 tire size

what offset to get so wheels wont stick out for suzuki king quad 750

what size tires can you fit on stock king quad 700

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.