Suzuki ATV Forum banner

melted harness

6K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  ozzyarcher 
#1 ·
Hey all- My original post on this problem was, Dead Short. My machine is still sitting in the shed because I dont know if I discovered the result or the problem.The plug between the rectifier and the wiring harness shorted and melted wires on the harness side of the plug. Anyone know where I can find the harness side plug? The blue/green corrosion makes me believe that I may have had road salt or some other corrosive in the plug. Do I take the chance and once I have the new plug,put it back together and see if it gets hot again? Any feedback will be appreciated!

#3 ·
99 quad runner. has under 2000 mi.A while back one night it just died. It was running perfect until then. I found a fused block mounted on the front of the tool box with a blown 30a fuse' As soon as I put in a new one it blew also. I knew then for sure there was a dead shot so I tore the body off and found the melted wires. A couple years ago I had to replace the rectifier. Maybe connected???????????

#6 ·
Looking at the manual. You should only have one 20amp fuse. The rest are 10amp. The 30amp is wrong.

Do you have any after market electrical accessories installed?

I would first open the melted bundle and repair those wires. You can probably get a harness and plug from someone on ebay parting out a machine. Then do the charging system and regulator checks per the manual.

#7 ·
No wonder the fuse didnt pop until the short went dead. The harness is 14 wire and the rectifer is 12. I have no add ons. Im wondering if the guy that had it before me was having problems and the 30 was his fix. Before I put the new rectifier on I had to install a new battery. Do you know if this machine has any history of electrical problems? I guess Ill have to break down and buy a manual. Im thinking that if I cant find just the plug Ill get a fused junction for a boat and wire it in.----My brother lived in Dillingham for 20 years. He sold his place 2 yrs ago and now hes Sarahs neighbor.

#8 ·
I sent you a link to the manual in your PM.

Dill-hole, never been there but heard things about it. He is living in Wasilla now?

#9 ·
thanks for the manual Tim. Yes my brother is up in Wasilla now. Hes having some health problems or hed still be in the bush. Sorry I didnt get back sooner but I has having some issues with my Jeep that I had to take care of.A front caliper wasnt releasing and it warped the rotor. I replaced everything brake on the front end and after driving for a few miles it would start grinding again. By the time I got it home and up in the air it cooled down enough there was no noise.Finally found that the boot on the cv joint against the transfer case had ripped and let enough road salt in that it destroyed the bearings. Ill replace it next payday. Thanks again for the manual. Ill let you know how it turns out.

#16 ·
May want to add dielectric grease to all electrical connections. Just a nice piece of mind for down the road.

Good luck!!

biz
:wink:

#18 ·
did a diode test on the rectifier. All leads read too way high. there are three yellow leads coming off of the rectifier that are not assigned to any separate circuit on the wiring diagram. Is it safe to assume that the current from all of these leads is the same and can be connected to any of the three circuits assigned to a yellow lead.

#19 ·
Its up and running. Cut into the harness and replaced the damaged wiring. I gave myself about 12in extra so I could route where I wanted. Both the rectifier and battery were fried and replaced.I wrapped everything in outdoor rubber tape,wires, plugins and all. did double wraps in two directions. The three yellows off of the rectifier all had the same output so it didnt matter which I routed them to (the manual didnt show specifics) as long as it went to yellow. Thanks again Tim for the manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.