1990 LT250-4wd carb problem???

This is a discussion on 1990 LT250-4wd carb problem??? within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; Wow! Thank you a Ajl 719! That will really help!...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
View quadfamily's Photo Gallery()
Wow! Thank you a Ajl 719! That will really help!
quadfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Not a problem, glad i could help. And that's nothing to ashamed about, we are here to help and do our best with the abilities and knowledge we have. If it makes you feel any better i did something real bone head which i wish i could forget. To put it short, i was having some issue with my quad i just couldn't figure out. It would start and run fine for about 2-3 minutes then die. Only way it would start back up was if i put the valve on the petcock in the (Pri) position then back to (On) after it started up. After scratching my head some i just couldn't figure out why it did this. Only when i was with my buddy was it that we figured out the problem.

Originally however we thought it was a carb issue and had gone to buy some Sea Foam and some fresh gas to along with it. Well as my buddy unscrewed the gas cap he took a look inside a said hey, when was the last time you put gas in this thing, cause i think i found your problem and started laughing. So i implore you, don't feel bad. Cause this very problem i said here ended up as a thread on the forum. How do you think i felt when i had to try and explain my issue was do to a lack of fuel, lol. So whatever type of mistakes we make either it be judgement, conscience, etc, it happens. Unfortunately that's the circle we call life, all we can really do is laugh and shrug it off.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s

Last edited by ajl719; 01-18-2013 at 03:10 PM.
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
View oldeerslayer's Photo Gallery()
Yes, on a 90 LT-4WD you do have a fuel pump. It is that thing with three hoses under the left front fender. It isn't necessary. Artic Cat 250 and 300's use the same Suzuki engine without one. The same carb is on A/C's, just doesn't have the vaccum fitting for the fuel pump hose. Next time you are going down a steep hill it might die if you bypass it and are low on fuel. But there is no reason you can't put a piece of tubing in place of the fuel pump to test it on a level surface. be sure to also plug the vacuum line.
oldeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
DSC01105.jpg

good morning. As you can see from this photo, I am pleased to announce victory. I was able to get it running Friday night and we had a great day out in the desert near Nelson Nevada yesterday. I want to thank you all again for your help. For the benefit of other newbies like me, I will give the solution to the problem despite the embarrassment.I had the jet needle spring seat and the jet needle ring reversed. so the spring I was having no effect on the needle. it was having the manual that did the trick. Sad thing is I already had the exploded view diagram of the carburetor which clearly showed proper configuration. But in the manual there was a note that said take note of the configuration. That is what clicked in my mind and made me realize. As soon as I switched it, it fired right up and ran great. Thank you again for your help.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
I think what happened is initially I did not do thorough cleaning carburetor, so it started getting gummed up again, the rollover must have really clogged it, so I did thorough cleaning a carburetor fixing that problem but reassembled incorrectly and created a new one unbeknownst to me...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
Chemical resistant rubber gloves at Lowes make great diaphragm material!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
I did the same thing once. Bet neither of us will do it again.
How did you get those two screws out of the top of the slide to replace the diaphragm?
I've never been able to turn them. It's like they are held with red loctite. Didn't want to chance breaking the heads off because then you have to drop the $150.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
First I stripped to hell with Phillips, then I did break the heads off with an extractor tool...so I ended up re-tapping with a self tapping screw. Buggered it all up, but eventually got it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
Maybe that's why they only sell them as an assembled unit. Or they built them so you have to replace it. The one thing that did concern me about replacing just the diaphragm is the rotational alignment. I would imagine if you don't get it right, the slide would drag going up and down. I'm sure anyone familiar with the workings of the carb could get it with some trial and error, but most shade tree mechanics wouldn't even consider it, resulting in more problems.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5557
Tell ya the truth, its cuz we're just broke. I would love for once to tackle something with all the right tools & parts! Instead of trying to jerry-rig a mickeymouse bandaid! ...forgive me....I'm starting to whine...lol. anyway, I traced out the original (taking note of the alignment tab) then with just a little heat stretched and shaped to get the concave shape the best I could. Certainly not ideal, don't know how long it'll last, but, at least for now, its running great! Sometimes you just gotta do the best you can with what you got, right?

Search tags for this page

1990 suzuki lt 250 4wd carb

250 suzuki 4wd carb spits

87 suzuki 250 lt 4wd carb trouble#gsc.tab

carburetor tuning 1998 suzuki atv 250cc

how do i find the year of my suzuki lt 250 quadrunner

lt 250 spitting back through carb

lt250 carby problems

ltf250 mikuni float setting

mikuni bst31ss for sale

suzuki lt250 4wd

suzuki quadrunner vacuum hose, forum

what does the air jet have to be set at on a 1998 suzuki quadrunner 250

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.