1997 king quad 300

This is a discussion on 1997 king quad 300 within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; Does anyone know how much it is to change all fluids and filters on a 97 king quad 300. and how hard it is . ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5678
View taddly1's Photo Gallery()
1997 king quad 300

Does anyone know how much it is to change all fluids and filters on a 97 king quad 300. and how hard it is . Im a newbie on atvs but can do auto machanics pretty good. Also what is the best way to get rusted bolts out of the plastics without heat? Thanks for any info
taddly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Are you asking how much it is for you to change all the fluids or the dealership..? If your doing it it'll probably cost you about $50 - $60 for the engine oil, filter, and front differential oil. If you let the dealership do it your probably looking at $140 for the whole thing. But it is fairly easy to do, if you need assistance i can certainly help you there.

As for the bolts in the plastic, probably heat. Either then that I'm not to sure.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5660
View jekquist's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by taddly1 View Post
Does anyone know how much it is to change all fluids and filters on a 97 king quad 300. and how hard it is . Im a newbie on atvs but can do auto machanics pretty good. Also what is the best way to get rusted bolts out of the plastics without heat? Thanks for any info
Soak with good penetrating lube. Also invest in a #3 Philips, it helps if its a JIS, but can be done without. I have used vice grips on the ones the po stripped. Do not use the screw driver to try to loosen, or you will probably strip it.
jekquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
View oldeerslayer's Photo Gallery()
Rusty bolts

Make sure the oil filter you buy includes the inner O-ring. Or pick one up from your local auto parts shop. It is 1.9cm thick and 13cm ID. It seals the bottom of the oil filter. A lot of the cheap filters don't include one and a lot of ATVs are running without one. Make sure you look at the picture and assemble everything in the correct order.
I find it easiest to jack up the right rear corner and remove the tire since the oil drain and filter are directly behind that wheel. The engine oil also lubes your rear differential. Only the front uses 80-90 gear lube. It's drain and fill holes are also on the right side and pretty obvious.

oxidized_black can probably help you find a service manual to download. It will walk you through the procedure.

For the rusty body bolts try this:
Welcome to: Loctite® Freeze & Release

I've never used it, but it sounds like a good alternative to a torch on plastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled copy.jpg (32.0 KB, 4 views)
oldeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Oxidized_black hasn't been on the forum for quite a while, and the site where you could download his manuals isn't working anymore. As for the o-ring you are correct, but most of time i re-use the same one. I simply clean and inspect them and if they look alright i apply a slight film of oil to it and put back on. And when i buy my oil filter i buy the Suzuki oil filters that don't come with them, but i do have a spare of each encase i need them.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
87-98 LT-4WD and KING Quad manual download

Here's the link to down load the srevice manual:

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_act...bEplcEt2eE1UQw

I have the actual printed version in my files and find it is very lacking in the carburetor section. When Suzuki updated to the BST31SS carb in 1990, they didn't update that section. I downloaded a 96-98 Polaris manual which uses the same carb. It does a very good job on that model (CV) carb, although the pics aren't super clear on this download. I usually open the pics in photo shop and play with the brightness and contrast for specific details:

Polaris ATV Service Manuals » Page 3 » QUADCRAZY ATV Forums
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5660
View jekquist's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
Here's the link to down load the srevice manual:

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_act...bEplcEt2eE1UQw

I have the actual printed version in my files and find it is very lacking in the carburetor section. When Suzuki updated to the BST31SS carb in 1990, they didn't update that section. I downloaded a 96-98 Polaris manual which uses the same carb. It does a very good job on that model (CV) carb, although the pics aren't super clear on this download. I usually open the pics in photo shop and play with the brightness and contrast for specific details:

Polaris ATV Service Manuals » Page 3 » QUADCRAZY ATV Forums

Thank you for the manual, nice to have one rather than looking at parts breakdown diagrams.
jekquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5678
Thanks for the advice. I did get a clymer manual. im definitly going to get some of that loctite freeze and release . Any good advice on websites to get good parts for my king quad?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Suzuki ATV Junkie!

Member #5661
You looking for aftermarket of OEM? There isn't a whole lot of aftermarket for them. Absolutely no wheels, period. Winch mounts, mufflers, and hand guards are about it.
I get my OEM stuff from cyclepartonline.com or cheapcycleparts.com. There are plenty of others, but I like the prices at these two and cyclepartonline has flat $7 shipping. Some get pretty hefty shipping fees.

Oh, one thing I haven't seen mentioned regarding your original question about doing an oil change is the type of oil. Everyone has a favorite, but be sure the oil says JASO-MA
on the bottle. The oils to avoid usually say something about better MPG. They have friction modifiers that won't work with your wet clutch. I personally use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40. That way I can run it year round. I know it says diesel on the bottle, but a lot of ATV and Motorcycle people swear by it. It is JASO-MA approved.

"The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) has created their own set of performance and quality standards for engines of Japanese origin.
For 4-stroke gasoline engines, the JASO T904 standard is used, and is particularly relevant to motorcycle engines. The JASO T904-MA and MA2 standards are designed to distinguish oils that are approved for wet clutch use."
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Suzuki ATVer

Member #5678
thanks for the response oldeerslayer. im looking for OEM parts and some heated grips. Ill check out the web sites you mentioned.

Search tags for this page

1997 king quad

1997 king quad oil o ringring

1997 susuzki king quad front differential oil change

1997 suzuki king quad 300

1997 suzuki king quad 300 review

1997 suzuki king quad 300 review#gsc.tab

1997 suzuki king quad 300 reviews

1997 suzuki king quad changing oil

1997 suzuki king quad front diff fluid

97 king quad owners manual

how much oil does a 97 suzuki king quad 300 hold
what is the best lubercunt for 97 atv kingquad 300
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.