1987 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 4x4 blown engine - what to do?

This is a discussion on 1987 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 4x4 blown engine - what to do? within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; I have a 1987 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 4x4 that appears to have just blown its engine. I picked up this unit as a beater ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4844
View cwatkin's Photo Gallery()
1987 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 4x4 blown engine - what to do?

I have a 1987 Suzuki Quad Runner 250 4x4 that appears to have just blown its engine. I picked up this unit as a beater and the engine and drivetrain seemed solid. The charging/starting system wasn't perfect but it would run.

It began running rough and I tried several things including fuel system cleaner to get it running better. It finally quit running and I realized it had no compression. I thought it was a stuck valve but figured out the lash adjustment was set WAY too far in so the intake valve wasn't closing all the way. I adjusted this out to spec and it would start and run again, although not well. I rode it for a few more days and the same thing happened. No compression and it wouldn't run. Again, the valve lash was way in on the intake so it wouldn't close. I adjusted and got it running once again. I tigtened the jam nuts so I don't know why this was happening. Also, shouldn't valve lash adjust itself the other direction as things loosen up?

I looked like the top end was getting plenty of oil as I fired the engine up for a second with the valve cover caps off to make sure I had done it right and quite a bit of oil came out both times. I was ready the second time and had a pan underneath. I made sure to replace any lost oil which could have been more than a couple ounces before starting again.

I changed the oil and filter when I first got the unit with normal conventional. It didn't look like the oil changes had been done with great regularity but I have certainly seen worse oil in the past. I changed once more with the same oil (kept same filter), and then again once the hot weather hit to Mobil 1 synthetic (changed filter).

I appear to have just had a pretty catastrophic failure but want to check before doing anything. I was riding and the engine was running rough as though there was a lot of internal resistance. I didn't know what was going on but I kept it pretty gassed riding back to my place. It died a few hundred feet from the house with a machine gun type rattle for a second or so after it quit. I immediately was worried it had thrown a rod and then noticed some oil dripping out of the bottom.

I drained the oil at this point and noticed that it wasn't low when this happened so it hadn't been run too low on oil. I have a couple questions?

1. Is this even worth repairing? If so, what parts will I all need? I assume this is going to require a cylinder or sleeve, piston/rings, connecting rod, at least one side of the engine case, and crankshaft.

2. If the answer (1) is no, which I suspect is the case, how is the best way to recoup the money I have in this machine?
A. Sell the entire unit on eBay as a parts unit. The 4WD seems fine and it shifted like a champ until is died.
B. Sell the tires/wheels off the unit as they are still good and eBay the rest as a parts unit.
C. Part out the entire thing and sell the worthwhile parts separately.

Or, does anyone have other suggestions?

Thank you.
cwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4384
View fishhooker's Photo Gallery()
A few things come to mind. If you do repair this engine use motorcycle/atv that has the additive for the wet clutches. The valve lash thing is puzzling, that it keeps tightening up like that. They do need regular adjustments and are not self adjusting. Depending on how much you have in it and how long you want to mess with it, parting it out typically will net you the most money back.
fishhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4797
View fegpa63's Photo Gallery()
The engine's already ahot, so why not tear into it and see what you're working with? If it just needs a re-sleeve and top end you can get that done by LA Sleeve and buy the piston kit you'd be out $300-$400 bucks on all of it. Anyhow, nothing to lose by tearing the engine down. If you do end up parting it out I could use a rear yoke (the one that is by the differential/engine) let me know keltingr@yahoo.com
fegpa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
ATV Enthusiast

Member #4902
View CumminsDriver's Photo Gallery()
I can help on the valve lash.

I just rebuilt my 1993 suzuki LT4wd 250 quadrunner. I was talking to the service guy at our local suzuki dealership and he says the intake valves start to wear away over time. The valve is made from softer metal than the head so the valve wears away where it seats, then recesses farther into the head. As it does this, it tightens the valve lash, and when the lash is all gone it starts holding the valve open enough to lose compression. I noticed that my engine's intake valve had done exactly what he was talking about. I had to rebuild the engine anyways, so i put new valves it it while I was there.

That could very well be your main issue. Pulling the head, and installing a new intake valve may fix you right up.
CumminsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
You are correct Cummins, I had same thing happen to my 97 before I done complete rebuild.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

1987 suzuki 250 4x4

1987 suzuki king quad 300 4x4

1987 suzuki king quad 4x4

1987 suzuki quadrunner 250 for sale

1989 suzuki quadrunner 250

1989 suzuki quadrunner 250 valve adjustment

1993 suzuki quadrunner 250

for sale 01 suzuki king quad 250 4x4

suzuki 250r engine problems

suzuki quadrunner 250 4x4 for sale

suzuki quadrunner 250 compression

why does 250 quadrunner intake valve get to tight?

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.