1990 LT-F250 Quadrunner fuel problem

This is a discussion on 1990 LT-F250 Quadrunner fuel problem within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; I feel like im beating a dead horse( i know this has been asked many times on here). Anyway my Quad seems to be getting ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4476
View edwinmaviles's Photo Gallery()
1990 LT-F250 Quadrunner fuel problem

I feel like im beating a dead horse( i know this has been asked many times on here). Anyway my Quad seems to be getting no gas to the plug. I have cleaned the carb and put a new plug in it. My question is, how do i test the fuel pump. when i have it in the on position and disconnected from the carb i can lower the fuel line and gas flows out of the line. So no blockage in the line. the vacuum hose to the fuel pump is clear. next step? should i try a bottle of gas hooked up to the carb raised in the air to see if maybe i still have a cab issue(mind u i cleaned it really well). how should i proceed?
edwinmaviles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Not being smart but did you clean out all the jets..? Stopped up jets could cause this if they aren't cleaned very well. All it really takes it for the tiniest piece of dirt to get in there and either throw things off or cause a blockage.

Here's the next thing i would try. First check to see if you have a fuel petcock that has these settings on it, ( On ) Pri, & Res. If it does switch it to the ( Pri ) position and try starting the bike, if you still can't start the bike or have no fuel then you most likely have a blockage someplace either in the line or the carb.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4476
I cleaned the jets, i thought about that first which is why i cleaned to the carb to begin with. The petcock has On, Off and Res. but like i mentioned, the fuel will run out if the fuel line is dropped below the tank. still think maybe blockage in line? I will take the carb back off though just to make sure i cleaned it like u said. just to go ahead and ask, if i do have the jets cleaned properly and there is no block in the line, what next? any thoughts?

one more thought i saw mention of a screen in the carb. do all carbs have this screen?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
O.k, well that answers my question about the fuel petcock then. You have the older style one apposed to the newer type i have, the one i mentioned in my previous post with the On, Pri, & Res, setting is the one i am familiar with. They seem to be slightly different in design but operate almost on the same principal.

I would still speculate that the carb is the issue and would double check it again just to make sure. As for a blockage in the line it doesn't seem likely seeing you have fuel coming out of it when you pull it off at the carb. So i would check the carb again just to make sure, plus it's always better to start with the simplest and more inexpensive solutions first then move on to the bigger ones.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4714
View akdirty's Photo Gallery()
maybe an air leak in one vaccum lines?
akdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3500
View bergy66's Photo Gallery()
I had the same problem with mine. Fuel will run out when disconnected like you did. With the line to the carb disconnected, when you crank it over it should "pulse" out. If it does not "pulse" out your fuel pump is bad.
bergy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3500
View bergy66's Photo Gallery()
or you have a vacuum leak as mentioned by akdirty.
bergy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Did you visually inspect each of the jets to make sure you can see through them clearly? also did you let the carb soak in either carb cleaner or gas to try and break up any sludge that may be in there , plus I would use compressed air to blow through the jets to make sure there is nothing in them to cause a blockage. Depending on the carb you can have up to 4 jets and a metering rod that you must make sure to clean if you are unable to buy a rebuild kit for it. Also if the needle and seat has a piece of trash in it, that will stop fuel from going anywhere, and there are sometimes a screen on the seat that can get stopped up and if it does no fuel will go anywhere no matter how good your pump is.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4476
ok, so far i removed the carb again, cleaned it, and i could see through all the jets. it looks really good visually now. spent 2 hours cleaning it with carb cleaner. used 3 bottles just cause they were free. i will check the vacuum line as it is still having issues cranking. i did manage to get it to crank up and i rode it for 30 minutes. at idle it would idle good for a little while then start to die down and finally quit from lack of fuel. will check back when i replace the vacuum line and make sure it is working. i replaced the fuel pump as a precautionary method( free fuel pump to so i figured why not).
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Sounds like you have it close, not we just need to get everything adjusted. How many turns do you have the air screw set out from all the way in? Also what notch do you have the metering rod set at also?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

1990 suzuki 250 4x4 fuel line diagram

1990 suzuki ltf250 carburettor vacuum lines
1992 suzuki quadrunner 250 carburetor

1992 suzuki quadrunner 250 fuel pump

1997 suzuki quadrunner 250

carburetor vacuum hose diagram 93 suzuki quadrunner

fuel pump for 1992 suzuki quad runner

suzuki 250 quadrunner carb problems

suzuki 250 quadrunner fuel pump
suzuki quadrunner 250 carburetor diagram

suzuki quadrunner 250 fuel pump

suzuki quadrunner fuel line diagram

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.