Need help! King quad isnt running right

This is a discussion on Need help! King quad isnt running right within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; I got a king quad from a friend, for free. Has been treated so bad its hole life it was barely worth taking for free. ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
View Rainychicken's Photo Gallery()
Need help! King quad isnt running right

I got a king quad from a friend, for free. Has been treated so bad its hole life it was barely worth taking for free. But now I want it to run! Now that I have it I need it to run well atleast.

Problems I have been having,

It seems to have no clutch and I dont know if thats normal. When I put it in gear I almsot do a wheelie cause its just getting slammed into gear and thats how they have been doing it forever.

Engine: It doesnt get above 25 mph. Sounds bad, backfires, smokes, has a hissing sound from the engien that causes it to die down momentarily. Like it goes PSSTT! then it bogs way down and then revs back up. It idles way to high when it wants to actually idle. I think it may be burning oil? When on the throttle it goes fine without any backfire or strange noise but has no real power. Spark plug is BLACK and dry. Compression is 143. And Other things Im probably forgetting but thats the majority.

Things I've tried:
I started by cleaning the carbs, new spark plug, and just a general tune up and cleaning. Which helped. But it goes downhill fast. Ive got the hole back end plastics taken off now to check the muffler for any type of block and havent found anything. One time I check the airbox, it was full of gas. But it hasnt had that issue since that time. I have tried to turn the air fuel mixture screw and got it to idle at its best point, its hard to get at but its not really running well enough to even tell where its good. Its at its best now though. Ive tried turning the idle screw out for the high idle but the little wire thing the idle screw is on broke off so you have to take the carb out to adjust that now. I set the valve adjustment today as well as a new head gasket to try and stop the oil getting to the cylinder. Didnt notice any difference in how it ran but it might stop buring oil. I know the gas deffinetily comes out the gas line. Even more so when its running. I hooked it up to a funnel and hose to supply it with gas and it doesnt seem to help at all.

Im concerned about one of the hoses on the carb thats gone I think that may be causing a vacuum leak, It goes from the right side of the carb to the fuel on/off/res dial. Not postive what it does but I assume it creats a vacuum to push more gas in which would be maybe why its running so slow?

Usually I can fix this stuff with enough time but I cant figure it out! Any ideas? I can post vids of how it sounds as well as pics if that helps. Im sure I missed something but theres a lot to cover!
Rainychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
If i forgot to add it above, the motor also gets REALLY hot when riding for a while.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
And its a 1995ish king quad 300. I think?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
First off the 300 King Quad has no clutch lever, they are semi-auto and require you to let off and on the gas switching through gears. As for the hose that goes to the on/off/res/, that is the fuel petcock. Inside this assembly is a diaphragm, when it goes bad it can and will make the bike run rough. Mine went last year and my quad refused to stay idling. Also, that could contribute to running to lean and fouling off plugs. You may wanna try changing this to see if this help. And there is no rebuild kit for them.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
Is the fuel petcock the on/off/res switch itself so thats the piece I would replace? Whats it do? The hose is actually broken off at the carb since its in the carb with a little plastic piece, I should probably try and find a new plastic piece to get that hose hooked back up before I expect it to run right?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
One other thing that just made me think of is a couple times when we were riding this thing when it got down to like half a tank we had to tow it. It would only run on a FULL tank. Still kinda does that..
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #514
The fuel petcock works by vacumm which is drawn by the fuel pump i believe. If you are missing any hoses i would try replacing them before even attempting to change the fuel petcock assembly. Check the diagram i provided along with the parts list. The line that runs from the petcock seems to lead to the fuel pump according to the diagram.

( MrCycles*Honda*Kawasaki Polaris*Suzuki*Yamaha*Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles )
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4455
The diagram doesnt seem to have the hose that isnt attatched.
Click the image to open in full size.
its this hose from the back of the petcock. It has one going up the front of the wheeler thats wraped in wire as well but that one seems fine. It goes to the little broken off golden thing in this pic, on the carb. Click the image to open in full size.

I also noticed my carb dripping gas.
Click the image to open in full size.

Another shot of the hose. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
The broken piece on the carb is your biggest problem.This is letting air be sucked in causing a hiss,poor ideling,poor running,running lean,overheating,hard starting.Defiently need to fix this before you try and tune the engine.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #514
As Zuki stated and so did i earlier, fix this broken piece on the carb first then go from there. Then we can go on with the process on elimination.
Differential Lock Mod
12,000 + km/s

Search tags for this page
08 king quad 750 not running right
2011 kingquad 750 idles but not runs

700 king quad running lean

95 quadrunner fuel pump location
air fuel screw adjustment king quad
kingquad 700 fouls plugs

suzuki 300 king quad running lean

suzuki king quad 280 how to block petcock
suzuki king quad 300 bogging down

suzuki king quad 700 runs rough

vacum on a 300 king quad 4 wheeler
valve specs for suzuki king quad 280
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.