Having starting issues ....

This is a discussion on Having starting issues .... within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; The 1990 Suzuki quad runner takes 5 to 10 minutes to start. Most of the time I have to jump start it with the car. ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2471
View Muleskinner's Photo Gallery()
Having starting issues ....

The 1990 Suzuki quad runner takes 5 to 10 minutes to start. Most of the time I have to jump start it with the car.

This is what I have done to it so far to try to fix the start problem:
-Cleaned the carb.
-Cleaned the gas tank.
-I put in carb cleaner (Sea Foam) ever other fuel fill.
-I do use low octane fuel.

Any other ideas?
Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Valves? Is the battery fully charged and putting out enough amps(battery good no dead cells)?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2471
Quote: Originally Posted by TUBBYTUBB View Post
Valves? Is the battery fully charged and putting out enough amps(battery good no dead cells)?
THOMAS
The battery is new.

When you say valves, do you mean valve ajustment? I have no Idea how to do that, so you will have to go into detail with that.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1049
The first thing you need to do is check the timing, no you do not have to remove the recoil starter cover to do this, there is a plastic plug on the left hand side of the rocker cover you will need to take this out ( it will be kinda hard because of the adhesive) this will allow you to inspect the timing marks on the cam itself. Take the sparkplug out after you get the plug out use a screwdriver and use the pull rope to get it to top dead center. You can use the pull rope and turn it over until you feel some compression hit your finger then put the screw driver in to get it all the way up. Then once you do that get a light of some kind and look in the hole where you took the plug out to look at the cam timing marks they should look like the picture below. If the timing marks are correct and it still will not crank then you will need to adjust the valves and I can help you do that, but we need to verify the timing first. Now the little drawing is not to scale but just to give you an idea of what to look for. The black is the the cam and the red is the top of the head.
Click the image to open in full size.
It is important that you get the engine on the compression stroke because if you do not the timing marks will be off regardless of how close they are to being correct, Just letting you know and not being a smartass.
The two black slashes are on the edge of the cam and they should be as close to parallel as possible to the top of the head this is crucial in getting it to run.
Just be careful when putting the cam gear on and not let the cam turn because if it is just one tooth off it will cause problems. It may take a couple of tries but it is worth it in the end.
Click the image to open in full size.

When setting the valves you can use the feeler gauges like the factory says OR you can try it my way which I haven't had a problem with.
Once you get the inspection caps off, make sure that the piston is still at TDC and then use a 10mm socket to loosen the lock-nuts but just enough for you to be able to turn the set screw. After you have everything loose tighten the set screw until you feel it bottom out then(INTAKE) bottom it out then loosen it a 1/4 turn and then finger tighten the nut not allowing the set screw to turn. (EXHAUST) do the same thing except go about 3/8" turn with the set screw. The valves should be .003-.005 INT & .006-.008 EXH Let me know if you need anymore info.

THOMAS

As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2471
That is some great info, Thomas! Thanks!

So this may cause the starting issue?

I will note, once it is started and warms up it runs great. It's always hard to start though especially when the engine is cold.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1049
Absolutely, When you get the valve set correctly you should be able to just barely hit the starter button and it should crank up even when it is cold, given the carb and everything else is correctly adjusted. My 97 done the same thing right after I rebuilt it because my valves were just a little off after a little trial and error I can breathe on the starter button and it fires right up. Here is a little video I took after I rebuilt mine.

THOMAS

Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2471
Nice video.

Thanks for the info Thomas. I'll get to work on it and I'll post an update on it!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1049
Thanks and your welcome. Keep us updated.

THOMAS

Search tags for this page
1990 suzuki 250 2 stroke quad harf start

1990 suzuki quadrunner hard to start

1995 ltf4wdx cam marks
98 suzki king hard to start
98 suzuki quadrunner 500 hard to start in cold
having hard time starting suzuki 300

how to pull the head on a 1990 suzuki 250 atv youtube

susuki ltf4wdx starting

suzuki 250 quadrunner hard to start when warm

suzuki king 750 hard to start when cold

suzuki quadrunner 250 timing marks

what size spark plug goes to a 1990 suzuki 250 atv quad

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.