Oil leak. My fault or bad seal?

This is a discussion on Oil leak. My fault or bad seal? within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; hey guys i have an 85 lt230GE and i just recently got it tuned right and its running alright now. However i have a small ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2114
View judas009's Photo Gallery()
Oil leak. My fault or bad seal?

hey guys i have an 85 lt230GE and i just recently got it tuned right and its running alright now. However i have a small oil leak coming from the shifter shaft. i read that the oil seal is probably bad and its really easy to replace but what i want to know is if i may have put the wrong oil in the machine? i know on the right side of the crankcase where the clutch is that it demands 10w-40 oil, so that's what i filled it up with. but on the left side of the crankcase it looked like another hole for oil. so i filled it up with 10W-40 as well. but what im thinking now is that maybe that hole should have been filled with transmission fluid and in turn could also be causing the leak from the shifter shaft? so if i do need to put tranny fluid in that hole on the left side of the crankcase what type of tranny fluid needs to go in there and how would i drain the left side of the oil? i know there is an oil drain plug on the bottom of the bike but i don't know if that's for left, right, or both sides? also if it helps the hole on the left side is also where you look down into the for the "T" to help you tell when you are at top dead center. anyways thanks for any help. if you need pictures let me know and ill try and grab some today.
judas009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
I'm not real familiar with that bike but the type of oil should not make one leak(someone correct me if I am wrong), more than likely the seal is just bad and needs to be replaced.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
You may have just added to much oil and blown the seal,the right side is the only place to add oil,oil will flow to the left side.the left hole your talking about is where you time it.no transmission fluid is used only motor oil.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2114
View judas009's Photo Gallery()
alright well i deffinately added about a quart of oil to the left side so that was probably my fault then lol. thanks for clearing it up as to whether or not i needed tranny fluid. this should be about the easiest fix ive done on this thing so far lol. only about a 5$ seal i think. also how can i tell if my valves arent adjusted right? is there anything i should listen for? cause i adjusted them too .003 on the intake and .005 on the exhaust and im not sure its right, ive heard bad things about wrongly adjusted valves and i dont want to wreck anything in the motor lol.
judas009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
Those clearances should be fine.

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler leaking oil

atv leaks oil

does oil go in the left engine fill suzuki lt 230ge

four wheeler leaking oil

how does a seal get blown on four wheeler leaking oil

how to fix a oil leak on a 4 wheeler

how to fix atv leaking oil

how to replace side shaft seal on kazumw red cap 4 wheeler

king quad shifter shaft seal replacement

oil leaking from 4-wheeler

suzuki 230 oil leak

where is my 4 wheeler leaking oil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.