Suzuki ATV Forum banner

water in ignition

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bojib 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 03 Vinson that misses really bad every time i get in some water. It only happens when I get stuck in water holes. Never deep enough to flood the engine. In fact all of the times it has happened the engine has never stalled, no water in air cleaner or belt cover, but after I winch out it misses like crazy until I dry out the coil and sparkplug wire. Is this normal, it should be sealed better. Can I get better coil and wire? Do I just need to replace with OEM stuff. I see people on Youtube in deeper water with no problem.

#2 ·
Go to a parts store and get some dielectric grease and take your connections off everywhere and put a liberal amount in there and it will water proof it from causing any more problems! Try it and post back to let us know if it solved your problem or not. I would do every electrical connection on the bike including fuses and relays.

THOMAS

#3 ·
Second on the dielectric grease. It's one of the first things I do when I bring an ATV home, or if I'm helping work on someone else's. It's cheap, easy, and gives some peace of mind.

#4 ·
I have already tried the dielectric grease. I thought it worked but as soon as it got really wet it started missing. I know it is the coil or wire because I put it on the edge of the fire that night an in the morning I put it back together and it ran perfect. I think it may have a supur small cracki in the plastic. If nobody seems to have problems with these coils, I may try a new factory piece

#5 ·
#6 ·
I just thought of this also you may wanna try to do this, Get it running and then get a squirt bottle of water or a water hose and while it is running spray the coil with water if it starts missing then you know something on it is not sealed properly and you need another coil but if it doesn't start missing spray the CDI and see if it starts missing.

THOMAS

#7 ·
Spraying a little water may also help to see some electrical sparking, if there is a crack in anything. Might wait until it's kinda dark to help aid in seeing the sparking too.

I've hard cars develop cracks in the plug wires before, and this was the method I used to figure out just what the problem was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.