85 LT 125 fuel pump issue

This is a discussion on 85 LT 125 fuel pump issue within the Repair and Maintenance forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions category; Hey everyone...I seem to be having a fuel pump issue and looking for some recommendations. I recently bought this machine cause it wasn't running right. ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Technical Discussions > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
New around here!

Member #692
View WFOWS6_IL's Photo Gallery()
85 LT 125 fuel pump issue

Hey everyone...I seem to be having a fuel pump issue and looking for some recommendations. I recently bought this machine cause it wasn't running right.

Before I start, let me say I know this is a fuel pump issue cause I can use another tank that's gravity fed and the thing runs fine, so I know it's not a jet or float issue.

I can use the prime bulb to get fuel to the carb, but it will only idle. It will bog/kill the motor if I give it gas. I can take compressed air and a rag and prime the system through the gas cap opening and it will run fine for about 10 seconds, then only idle. I know the vacuum line is sucking from the intake and have taken the fuel pump apart, cleaned, and everything appears to be fine. The only thing I am uncertain is a ball bearing and spring unit in the pump. I would think this is some type of check valve.

I'm uncertain if this pump has been taken apart before, so I ordered a clymer manual hoping it has a break down of the pump so I can reassure it was pieced together properly. I'm thinking it looks line cause if the ends were reversed, the fuel lines would be ran a little funky.

Has anyone ran into any related issues like this?

Thanks in advance!
WFOWS6_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #627
View elmerkit's Photo Gallery()
^ man spam.... anyway. better to replace the whole assemble to so that you would have a piece of mind. yes it is expensive but worth it.
elmerkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
New around here!

Member #1328
View notbob's Photo Gallery() Send a message via AIM to notbob
how does this vacuum operated fuel pump work? from what I can tell all the vacuum does is allow fuel to pass through which would basically be more like a flow control valve. I took a vacuum pump to mine and fuel started flowing through it. take the vacuum off and fuel flow stops. so why do they call it a pump? I think it's more of a safety valve in which it keeps fuel from flowing unless the engine is running which isn't a bad thing, I just don't think they should be calling it a pump if it's not. and that also go to show why the gravity fed tank worked fine when WFOWS6 hooked it up. basically the tank with the so called fuel pump is actually gravity fed also. just bypass the pump that isn't a pump and just make sure to use your petcock to control the fuel flow. and if I'm wrong about that so called fuel pump I would like someone to explain how it pumps.
notbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
It uses the pulsing of the engine through vacuum to feed the engine with fuel, as does the fuel petcock. It uses both the pump and the petcock system to keep the fuel flowing when the engine is running and it is also a safety system so in case someone forgets to turn the petcock off after they get done riding to keep the engine from getting flooded with fuel.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
how does a vacuum operated fuel pump work
how does gas come from the fuel pump on a 85 suzuki
how does gas come from the fuel pump on a 85 suzuki?
lt 125 fuel pump
lt125 fuel pump
suzuki lt 125 fuel line diagram

suzuki lt 125 fuel pump

suzuki lt 125 fuel pump diaphragm
suzuki lt 125 fuel pump rebuild kit

suzuki lt 125 manual

suzuki lt 125 vacuum diagram

suzuki lt125 fuel pump

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.