1998 King Quad 300 will not start or fire...

This is a discussion on 1998 King Quad 300 will not start or fire... within the ATV General Discussion forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Discussions category; Hello all, My King Quad absolutely will NOT start, or fire, even if I shoot a shot of starting fluid into the cylinder... What I ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
View flyplain's Photo Gallery()
1998 King Quad 300 will not start or fire...

Hello all,

My King Quad absolutely will NOT start, or fire, even if I shoot a shot of starting fluid into the cylinder...

What I have tried and/or confirmed so far:

It has a good spark, and a new plug
Air filter is clean, and I also tried starting with it removed
The vent hose on the carburetor is NOT plugged
I have tried ALL three settings on the fuel petcock
Tried starting fluid and did not even get it to fire at all

Right now I am going out to smell the oil to see if it smells like gasoline at all, and I will also try using the pull start. I just have never seen an instance where a small engine has spark but does not even fire with a shot of starting fluid.

Any ideas or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks everybody.

Doug

UPDATE: I figured it out. The oil smelled a little like gas, so I changed it, removed the spark plug and turned the engine over a few times to distribute the new oil to where it belongs, then reinstalled the plug. Started right up and runs fine. I must have left the fuel petcock at the PRIME setting for too long while I was trying a wide variety of other things to get it started.
flyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Yes, if you leave the petcock in the Prime position while the bike isn't running fuel will continue to flow regardless of if the engine is running or not. Doing this will allow fuel to flow into the crankcase and contaminate the oil. Glad you got it running alright though.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
Well, I am back... even though changing the oil SOMEHOW made the machine able to start and run okay for a couple of days, now it is behaving again exactly as I described in my initial post.

In addition to all the things I've listed that I have tried, I have also now installed a new spark plug boot. This made no difference.

So... good spark, fuel getting into the cylinder, and absolutely NO firing.

What's left? Air? The other day it started like new, ran for about 20 seconds, then died and has not fired a single time since. It can't be a timing problem because that would not be intermittent... but it almost seems as if the spark is being doused once the plug is reinstalled... what could cause that? OR, air flow is somehow the problem, but what else can I check or try?

I would normally use this machine every day, for essential work related projects, so I really need to get it functioning again. Any ideas anybody?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
Is the oil contaminated with fuel again..? If so you may need to do a few oil changes to rid yourself of all the fuel in the crankcase. Also, it is possible the fuel petcock diaphragm is finished therefore leaking fuel into the crankcase when the bike isn't running. Another posibilty is the carb, a stuck float could also cause fuel to leak into the crankcase.

If the oil is fine however the carb itself could be your issue, a dirty carb with stopped up jets etc could cause this as well.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
Thanks a lot for the reply... I really use this machine for essential daily work, so I'm feeling a bit desperate...

I did check the oil again and although I do not smell gas like I did before, I have considered another oil change... however, I suppose I should correct the fuel problem first, or I may just be changing oil every other day...

I'm going out to check the vent on the petcock to see if it has fuel in it... and if necessary, I will remove the carburetor... not something I enjoy...

The machine has only 600 miles on it, if that matters at all... one thing that I should make clear is that the plug seems to foul VERY fast after replacement... it is BLACK, and wet with fuel after trying to start the machine... has good spark, but never even fires AT ALL... almost seems like it is choking itself out immediately... starting fluid does nothing, though...

Should I try a slightly heavier oil? In fact, what is the best oil to use in this model? I ride this thing for work only, so never go faster than 15 to 20 mph, and usually closer to 5 - 10 mph.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
Okay, I pulled off the hose that runs from the fuel petcock to the top of the carburetor, and a LOT of gas poured out... I am supposing this is not good...

I'm no mechanic, but I believe the float should be stopping the fuel flow long before it could rise so high... pardon my ignorance, I'm just trying to use whatever logic I think makes sense...

So is the float the most likely cause of the non-starting issue? Or is it the fuel petcock only? And does this mean that gas probably worked it's way back into the oil?

Mainly, is there some tests I can now try, to see if the machine will start?

Talk to me like I am five... hahaha...
Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
I'll just keep talking here, and if somebody wants to chime in that's great...

I just spent a couple of hours taking off the rear rack and rear plastic fender assembly, along with the air box and other plastic pieces obstructing my view... I wanted to gain a clearer perspective of where each hose runs, wires, etc.

Then I removed the carburetor for a very general evaluation... the float moves very freely, as it should, and that area of the carburetor appears to be very clean...

I really don't know exactly what I am looking for, but judging by years of past experience, this carburetor does not look dirty or in need of a kit... the upper diaphragm looks very good also...

So did I take everything apart in vain, and is the fuel petcock the problem?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4873
View sumith's Photo Gallery()
hello flyplain... i dont't know a lot about this but almost certain there should not be fuel in the hose you took loose it is vacuum hose. sounds like bad diaphram in petcock. maybe aji719 or tim can tell you more about this. good luck hope you get it going soon
sumith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4864
Thanks... yeah, I am really dead in the water without this workhorse...

Mainly I need to understand if the most likely culprit is the petcock, and if so, where is the best and fastest source to buy one... and since I have it all apart, I need to know if there are other things I should check/test/do before I bolt it all back together.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4873
View sumith's Photo Gallery()
thread that might help you ,go to forum,then techinial discussion,then repair & maintenance,click on search,type fuel pump,scroll down about 7 threads.
sumith is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
1993 king quad will not start

1998 kingquad petcock problems

2000 king quad 300 not getting gas
2000 kingquad 300 not firing after jetting it
93 king quad no gas to carb

king quad 300 not fireing

king quad not getting fuel

my suzuki king quad wont start

suzuki king quad 300 wont start

suzuki king quad will not run

what could cause a suzuki king quad to not crank

when i leave my king quad 300 over night it wont start

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.