Bike hasn't been run in years - How do I get it started?

This is a discussion on Bike hasn't been run in years - How do I get it started? within the ATV General Discussion forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Discussions category; Hello all, Thought I'd post this in the general forum as well as the Suzuki section... I'm new to the forum and ATVs in general ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4155
View gilmour68's Photo Gallery()
Bike hasn't been run in years - How do I get it started?

Hello all,

Thought I'd post this in the general forum as well as the Suzuki section...

I'm new to the forum and ATVs in general and I'm looking for some advice on what I need to do to get an older Suzuki Quadrunner running. I'm mechanically inclined and I've been working on my motorcycle and cars for years now. I'm just not familiar with ATVs.

The bike is an '87 LT300E. It was purchased new by my parents and hasn't been running for several years. It will need tires and a battery, but otherwise it looks to be in very good shape, with only 2200 miles on the clock. From what I've been told, it turns over but doesn't start. I'm planning to do the following prior to any attempt at starting it...

- Drain fuel tank
- Drain and replace oil
- Remove, clean and gap spark plug
- Check brakes
- Charge or replace battery

Is there anything else I should do? Change fuel filter, etc...I'm eventually planning to buy a service manual, but for now I'm just looking for some pointers.

Thanks in advance...

gilmour68
gilmour68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #514
View ajl719's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to ajl719
You seem to pretty much have everything covered there. I would also clean your air filter as well, a dirty air filter could cause poor running conditions. And i don't believe your bike has a fuel filter. I have an 2000 LTF300F and mine does not have one.

If all this fails to get the bike running you may need to tear the carburetor apart and clean it properly. When fuel sits for any lengthy period of time it tends to varnish and gum everything up. Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.
Kenda Bear Claws (Rear 25X10-12) - (Front 24X9-11)
Differential Lock Mod
13,000 + km/s
ajl719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
Im sure the carb is going to need a good cleaning.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3796
View wrenchami's Photo Gallery()
My first post here, but this is an easy question. If the unit has been sitting for years without being prepared for storage, then the carb has long since gummed up. Modern fuels don't bode well sitting in carbs with tiny jet orifices, like in ATV's or multi-carb motorcycles. 6 months is all it takes and the carb can clog. Plan on a complete carb disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. I can't tell you how many times we, at Roseville Yamaha, got units in that wouldn't idle, or idled but wouldn't accelerate after sitting for a couple of seasons. There was good jobs from that, but you had to be thorough or you'd have to do the job again because it if you missed the smallest detail (clogged jet or port) the bike wouldn't run right. I tell you this only because if you do the rebuild yourself, be sure you don't take shortcuts. A jet can look fine to the naked eye, and pass fuel, but still be partially clogged, requiring physical cleaning with a soft cleaning device (i.e. toothpick vs. file).

With a no start condition on a unit sitting that long, there's a good chance the carb's idle and high speed circuits are both plugged.

Figure on a new battery. Shop online, you'll save 40-50%. Plugs are cheap, buy one. Change the oil and filter now, and the oil again after the unit has run a few hours. I wouldn't worry about the brakes until the unit can make itself roll. Then make sure the brakes work before you make it roll too fast.

Cheers,
Eric
wrenchami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4155
Update - hauled the bike into my dads garage, put in a battery, replaced the plug and poured in some fresh gas. It turned over for a bit, but quickly it seemed like the battery died. The battery came out of my bike, was fully charged and has a 200 CCA capacity.

We connected a "booster" battery and all I get is the solenoid "click". I checked the connections at the battery and starter, same results. The headlight doesnt dim when i depress the starter button The engine turns over with the pull start.

What might be the culprit? Should I look at the starter relay? Starter? Battery?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
corroded connections,bad starter or solenoid .
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4155
Connections to battery and starter are clean. How do I check the solenoid? The starter?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Does the starter sound like it is dragging at all? when the battery is fully charged?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Suzuki ATVer

Member #4155
No it didn't. It turned over relatively fast, but seemed to slow down pretty quickly. The battery came out of my bike and is able to turn over a 1200cc engine, so I think it should handle the quad engine. We also tried a booster battery with the same results. Now the solenoid only clicks, the starter never engages.

I'm gonna put the battery on a trickle charge before I try it again.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
Did you try taking the plug out to see if the engine has compression by holding your finger over the plug hole and also to make sure the piston is moving and one more thing to make sure the starter clutch is operating correctly?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

bike hasn't run in years

do you need to take apart yuor motorcycle and clean it out if it hasnt been started in 6 years

fixing atv that hasn't run in 5 years

how to start a atv that has not run for 2 years

how to start a motorcycle that hasn been started in a while

how to start a motorcycle that hasn't been started since 2000

how to start a quad that hasn't been started for a long time

motorcycle hasn't run in a few years. how much to fix

starting an atv that hasn't run in years

what do do after a motorcycle hasnt been started in years
what to do to a motorcycle that hasnt been started in15 yrs.
what to.do motorcycle hasnt been started.in years
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.