Suzuki ATV Forum banner

Belt slipping?

18K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TUBBYTUBB 
#1 ·
I rode hard all day yesterday in real wet muddy conditions and at the end of the day i went through the deepest mud hole of the day,just above the tires and splashed water and mud over my head,thats fun.

Anyway.....as we were heading back on level ground i noticed my belt slipping so i let out on the throttle for a bit until we hit some down hill.
When we got to the bottom all was fine.

I rode for another couple of minutes hitting the throttle hard without issue.
One of the guys said "oh thats normal,no problem".

Whats up with it?

#2 · (Edited)
You probably have some water in your belt housing. There should be a drain plug somewhere on the housing. Remove the plug and see if any water comes out. If so, that might be your problem right there. If it still persists you might have to take the actually cover housing off and do a thorough cleaning of the clutches, etc.

#4 ·
I wasn't actually referring to the disassembly of the clutches themselves. I meant just taking the cover off to clean the outside of the clutches and surrounding areas properly.

#5 ·
Actually you can make one just to hold the pulley out of some scrap iron/steel, the easiest way to clean it however without disassembling everything is to take the CVT cover off and go to the parts store and get you some B52 De-greaser and spray it everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and spray it off with the water hose, then spray some more on everything and get a tooth brush and clean the edge of the pulley where the belt dust builds up and make sure you get it really clean. Spray the primary clutch spring with the de-greaser, that is the rear clutch pulley, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes also and then spray it off really well with the water hose and keep spraying it to make sure all residual residue is washed off. Start it up without the cover on and in Neutral and let it go through the clutch cycle this will also help dry all of the water off of the pulleys then you can use some compressed air to get any water that is hiding dried up also. Here is a before and after of mine when I done the same thing:

AFTER:

Doing the above gave me back all of my acceleration that I lost after I got a lot of muddy water in the housing and it gave me back my top end also. I also noticed after I got it cleaned that my clutch engaged a whole lot quicker where before I cleaned it it took a few seconds for it to completely engage and that is why I was losing bottom end.

THOMAS

#7 ·
Did you try going through the clutch cycle while you had the cover off to see how much quicker it engaged and disengaged?

I'm trying to, yesterday I got out and got some fresh air and was feeling a little better but then I woke up earlier feeling like crap again. I guess I will be up and down for a little while.

THOMAS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.