timing and valve adjustment

This is a discussion on timing and valve adjustment within the ATV General Discussion forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Discussions category; I just got this 92 LTF250 from a kid that says him and his gramps rebuilt the top end. said it ran great for about ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
New around here!

Member #1328
View notbob's Photo Gallery() Send a message via AIM to notbob
timing and valve adjustment

I just got this 92 LTF250 from a kid that says him and his gramps rebuilt the top end. said it ran great for about 20 minutes and then started having problems. not sure but I don't think he ever go it running again. he was told it needed a new carb. I tried starting it once I got it home but it was flooding big time. took the carb off, cleaned it and adjusted the float. pretty sure the carb is fine now since it is actually trying to run where as before it wouldn't at all. I need to get an adapter for my compression gauge so I can't test that yet. I think the plug hole is 12mm. I'm just wondering if they either didn't adjust the valves correctly or if the timing is off? I did put some lucas oil in the cylinder because of it being cranked so much and all the gas that was going into it. is the valve adj. and setting the timing difficult? I'm not quite sure of the reason to remove the recoil starter?
notbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
The first thing you need to do is check the timing, no you do not have to remove the recoil starter cover to do this, there is a plastic plug on the left hand side of the rocker cover you will need to take this out ( it will be kinda hard because of the adhesive) this will allow you to inspect the timing marks on the cam itself. Take the sparkplug out after you get the plug out use a screwdriver and use the pull rope to get it to top dead center. You can use the pull rope and turn it over until you feel some compression hit your finger then put the screw driver in to get it all the way up. Then once you do that get a light of some kind and look in the hole where you took the plug out to look at the cam timing marks they should look like the picture below. If the timing marks are correct and it still will not crank then you will need to adjust the valves and I can help you do that, but we need to verify the timing first. Now the little drawing is not to scale but just to give you an idea of what to look for. The black is the the cam and the red is the top of the head.
Click the image to open in full size.
It is important that you get the engine on the compression stroke because if you do not the timing marks will be off regardless of how close they are to being correct, Just letting you know and not being a smartass.
The two black slashes are on the edge of the cam and they should be as close to parallel as possible to the top of the head this is crucial in getting it to run.

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB

Last edited by TUBBYTUBB; 11-30-2010 at 03:31 PM.
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
New around here!

Member #1328
TDC is good

Thanks for helping. the manual would lead you to believe you need to pull the fender, the recoil starter housing and not sure what else but I didn't think it seemed necessary. So anyway I got the piston to TDC on compression and the cam marks are right on. I pulled the caps off the valve adjusters and the exhaust is just a little loose but the intake seems tight.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
How good is the spark?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
New around here!

Member #1328
got it running!

apparently the intake valve was adjusted just a hair too tight. I loosened it and then set it to .003 hit the switch and started right up. thanks for your help

Search tags for this page
1991 suzuki king quad valve adjustment
2005suzuki ozark250 timing marks
2013 suzuki 750 king quad cam chain adjustment
300 king quad valve adjustment

how to adjust timing on suzuki eiger

how to adjust valves on a suzuki eiger
how to adjust valves on suzuki atv
suzuki atv ozark valve lash adjustment procedure

suzuki atv valve adjustment

valve adjust suzuki 700 king quad
what is the timing for a quad
what is the valve clearance for a suziki king quad ltf 300 93
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.