Problem with 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400

This is a discussion on Problem with 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 within the ATV General Discussion forums, part of the Suzuki ATV Discussions category; Hey guys, I have a problem with a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4. Basically I'm getting sort of a "whirring" sound from the engine. It ...

Go Back   Suzuki ATV Forum > Suzuki ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
New around here!

Member #906
View PA452's Photo Gallery()
Problem with 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400

Hey guys, I have a problem with a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4.

Basically I'm getting sort of a "whirring" sound from the engine. It came on over time and is now to the point where it's pretty much always there and very noticeable. It follows the RPMs through the entire throttle range, though it is more noticeable when not at idle. The sound is present when in neutral and not moving.

I cannot pinpoint the location at all so far. I've read that the timing chains on these quads stretch fast, and I have a friend who made that suggestion first. I pulled the chain tensioner off and it was not maxed out, but it was about 2/3s to 3/4s extended. I was thinking maybe that's as far as the guide will move? Maybe it doesn't have to be all the way extended to no longer be working?

Since I had that tensioner off, I swear the noise is worse and much more noticeable, but honestly it could just be my imagination.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PA452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #840
View soutthpaw's Photo Gallery()
valve adjustment???
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
New around here!

Member #906
Quote: Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
valve adjustment???
Don't know, though in the process of whatever it is I end up doing to try to remedy the problem, I did plan on doing that as well.

If the valve adjustment is a problem, do you know what that would sound like?

I have a bit of a hard time describing the sound I'm hearing. I used "whirring", but others may use a different term.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
Suzuki ATVer

Member #419
View RS-1080's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
Don't know, though in the process of whatever it is I end up doing to try to remedy the problem, I did plan on doing that as well.

If the valve adjustment is a problem, do you know what that would sound like?

I have a bit of a hard time describing the sound I'm hearing. I used "whirring", but others may use a different term.

If a valve has to much lash, the rocker arm will make a ticking sound each time it makes contact with the valve.. tick tick tick, and the ticking will get faster with increased engine rpm's.

If the cam chain is lose, it'll make noise sorta like a valve with to much lash, exept it'll be more of a slapping sound.

Not sure about the 'whirring' sound your hearing. Did you notice any difference in the running after the noise came about? Just fishin' as it's hard to get an idea exactly whats going on without listening to the bike in front of me ( and they have alot of movin' parts ).

Not sure if your able to, but if you could upload a sound clip it may give us a better idea of the noise your hearing.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-29-2010 at 02:28 AM.
RS-1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
New around here!

Member #906
Quote: Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
If a valve has to much lash, the rocker arm will make a ticking sound each time it makes contact with the valve.. tick tick tick, and the ticking will get faster with increased engine rpm's.

If the cam chain is lose, it'll make noise sorta like a valve with to much lash, exept it'll be more of a slapping sound.

Not sure about the 'whirring' sound your hearing. Did you notice any difference in the running after the noise came about? Just fishin' as it's hard to get an idea exactly whats going on without listening to the bike in front of me ( and they have alot of movin' parts ).

Not sure if your able to, but if you could upload a sound clip it may give us a better idea of the noise your hearing.
Thanks for the reply. There is a bit of a ticking, but that's not the sound I have here. I don't hear a slapping sound either. It's kind of hard to describe. I had a friend look at it, and he can't decide where it's coming from or how to describe it either. He thought it kind of sounded like the chain, but I still have adjustment left, so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

I'll try to get a video of it, but I'm not sure the sound is going to sound right on the digital camera.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Banned

Member #851
View alice.thomas222's Photo Gallery()
alice.thomas222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1049
View TUBBYTUBB's Photo Gallery() Send a message via Yahoo to TUBBYTUBB
You don't have a leak in one of the carb boots do you? That is the only thing I can think of that would make a whirring sound that is if I am thinking of the right sound. Do you know what a old quadrajet carburetor sounds like when all 4 barrels are open?

THOMAS

1997 King Quad 300 Still Alive and Kicking Just Giving It A Rest
As In Life: Always Try The Simplest Things First Then Move On to The Bigger Things To Fix The Problems In Front Of You - TUBBYTUBB
TUBBYTUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1478
View zukifreak's Photo Gallery()
Is it a manual or automatic,there was a recall on some models for this.
zukifreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

2004 suzuki eiger 400 problems

2004 suzuki eiger 400 reviews
2004 suzuki eiger 400 valve adjustment

2004 suzuki eiger 400 valve clearance

2004 suzuki eiger problems

2004 suzuki eiger valve adjustment

2004 suzuki eiger valve clearance
2005 suzuki eiger reviews

Suzuki Eiger 400 Problems

how to find what model a 2004 eiger is
how to set timing suzuki eiger

suzuki eiger valve adjustment

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.